Visit My Web Page!

Visit My Web Page! http://www.neiu.edu/~knsmith1/

Saturday, September 25, 2010

#3

A response to Question 2 on page 73 of Arcaro

The immigration of my family to this country happened recently. My mother came here with my grandmother and grandfather when she was 12 years old. They immigrated here from Macedonia (the former Yugoslavia). My mother was born in 1945 which was right after the communist take over of Yugoslavia, she lived there for 12 years before coming to the United States.
The main reason for the relocation was for my grandmother to provide more opportunities for my mother, and her three other children which followed. In Yugoslavia there were limited opportunities for people; especially for women.  Coming to America there were many more opportunities to name a few: education, employment, and political freedom. Coming to Chicago in the 50's meant she could have an education and a career instead of being locked into a housewife. 
Life in America was difficult for my mother and grandmother to grasp because they were so set in the old world way of thinking.  My mom chose to get an education which was not acceptable to her father so she would have to study and do her homework when he was asleep by candle light.  And when she went to school during the day she had to tell her father she was working. 
Still to this day my mom and grandmother carry some characteristics from the "old country" such as putting the boys/men first, not wasting food.  My mom says that she is happy she came to America but at times when she goes back to visit relatives, I can tell that she misses the simplicity of life in Europe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment